Visa process bic_2021_admn 2021.08.27.

Visa process


Information for non-EU citizens on entering Hungary

As a citizen of a non-European country, you have to apply personally for a residence permit for the purpose of studies at the nearest  Hungarian Consulate or Embassy.

Important: Please note that the visa process might take up to 4-6 weeks, so we strongly advise you to book your visa interview in due time.  At some Consulates /Embassies you will have to wait to get an appointment for the visa interview, so we suggest that you try to arrange an appointment right after you have paid the tuition fee and other service fees. After receiving the tuition fee, we will send your final package containing the Final Admission Letter (by email) within a few days.

If your visa is approved, you will get a type D visa that is valid for a single entry to Hungary. After entering Hungary you have 30 days to collect your documents and go to the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing in Budapest to receive your residence permit.

Please note that visa and residence permit are not the same notions, they have different meanings:

  • Visa: stamped into your passport entitling you to enter Hungary
  • Residence permit: is a card issued by the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing entitling you to stay in Hungary and commence studies here until it expires. It has to be extended 30 days before it expires.

Required documents for the application of the study visa (type D visa)

  • A filled out and signed Application Form for Residence Permit for the purpose of studies and Appendix 13
  • 2 photos must be attached; the photo should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background. Learn more about photo requirements and specifications for a Hungarian Visa.
  • Copy of your passport photo-page and previous visas. Your passport must have at least two blank pages and be valid for at least 6 more months.
  • Official and original school documents
  • Your CV
  • A language certificate of English skills (if applicable)
  • A cover letter including your motivation of studying at Budapest International College and in Hungary, your previous trips abroad and family background. 

In order to obtain a visa, you need a person who will finance your stay in Hungary, aka a ‘sponsor’. The sponsor can only be a parent or a legal guardian, no other relative is accepted (sister/brother, aunt/uncle, grandparent etc.)

  • Evidence of the relationship with the sponsor (e.g. birth certificate)
  • Your sponsor’s notarised bank statement of the last 6 months
  • A letter from your sponsor’s employer
  • Notarised sponsorship letter stating that your sponsor will finance your studies and transfer at least 500 EUR/month.
  • Proof of sufficient funds of the sponsor (e.g. rental contracts, depositor’s book, proof of income) coming from a regular income that must be evident from the sponsor’s bank account statements. Funds should be enough to cover your tuition fee and at least one year’s stay in Budapest (around EUR 10 000-12 000)
  • Final Letter of Admission (Budapest International College will issue this document and send you in the final package by email)
  • Health insurance (certified in your final letter)
  • Accomodation for the whole duration of the intended stay in Hungary (Budapest International College will certify your accommodation in Nova Inn Hostel as soon as you reserve a room and pay for your accommodation)

Please also prepare the 110 EUR administrative service fee of applying for the residence permit.

In case your visa is rejected for any reason, all the fees are refundable except for the application fee (EUR 150). In the course of the refund process, you will be charged with administration fee (EUR 150), which will be deducted from the total amount that we transfer back to your bank account.

Countries with visa waiver agreement with Hungary (.e.g USA, Georgia, Brazil, Mexico, Japan etc.): Holders of passports issued by the listed countries are exempted from any visa requirement when travelling to Hungary on condition that their visit does not exceed the period of visa-free stay (30-90 days). After entering Hungary you will need a residence permit to be able to stay for more than 30 days and commence your studies here, so you will have to apply for a residence permit for study purposes at the Hungarian Immigration Office (i.e. National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing) in Budapest.


Please note that the list is only for information purposes. It is highly recommended to contact the Embassy of Hungary accredited to your country in order to get a confirmation on your visa-free entry.

Information for EU citizens on entering Hungary

Citizens of the European Union can enter Hungary with their ID card or passport. Make sure to obtain a European Health Insurance Card before travelling to Hungary. Having a valid health insurance coverage in Hungary is prerequisite to the enrolment in any educational institution.

Schengen-zone countries: Passport holders of Norway, Switzerland and Iceland may also travel to Hungary with their ID card or passport.

Information for non-EU citizens residing in Hungary

If you decide to start one of our programs or transfer from another university, you will need a student status certificate that we can provide you after enrolling to Budapest International College. With your student status certificate in hand, you can apply for the extension of your residence permit at the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing in Budapest.

Interesting info to prepare for the visa process

Show money: things you need to know about sponsorship for student visa
How long is the study visa process to Hungary?
Hungarian study visa interview questions: from common to unusual
5 tips for a successful student visa process
3 cool videos from Youtube to help prep for the visa interview